Mended is a community of people trying to do what Jesus did...love outside of ourselves. Our desire is to see people's lives changed by this love. We also realize there is already a lot of incredible people doing off-the-chart amazing things in our community. We want to build strategic partnerships with them to accomplish even MORE! Are we going to see eye-to-eye on everything? Nope. Do you need to believe exactly what we believe in order to work together? Not at all. We want to meet you, so contact us to get connected.
You're probably expecting a long list of doctrinal statements about the ins and outs of what we stand for. We can chat over coffee if you'd like to have that conversation. However, to be quite honest, it still wouldn't change the fact that we want to get to know you and see how we can work together to make our community better.
The driving force behind everything we do is the love of God and our faith in Jesus Christ. To make it as simple as possible, it can be traced back to the greatest commandment: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all you mind." Oh ya...Jesus goes on to say the second greatest is like it too, "Love your neighbor as yourself." Matthew 22:37-39
What's so cool is that even amongst the Mended team, we may have different takes on parts of the Bible, but that doesn't keep us from getting back to the heart of what God has called us to do together. Love Him and love others. Simple. Gospel.
In order to keep focused, there are some questions we've committed to ask ourselves when beginning anything new.
1. Does it honor God? If not, then there has been a compromise somewhere in our moral standards.
2. Does it require creativity to accomplish? If not, then we're falling back into habit and routine and not pushing ourselves for growth.
3. Does it serve someone other than ourselves? If not, then it's self-serving and runs opposite of how you build a healthy community.
We operate with 7 core values that define Mended and how we influence our community.
- It starts with relationship. One-on-one interactions are the only way to truly get to know someone.
- Our scope is our immediate community and our resources will be utilized in our own backyard.
- Generosity is infectious so we want to model it. Our goal is to partner with local organizations and utilize our resources to support them. Scratching each other's back feels good.
- Simplicity is important. We don't want to over complicate the message of love. God loves everyone...no exclusions.
- Uniqueness will be embraced because we need everyone's talents, abilities, and gifts to make our town thrive.
- Because people are unique it's going to take a lot of creativity to speak to the heart of all of God's creation. We don't all see life through the same lens.
- And lastly, we believe to the best of our ability, everything we put our hands to should be done with excellence. God spared no expense with His love, so why should we?
There are 4 main areas in our approach as a church. The historical model is to have a location where people come to the church to listen and learn. This serves as an important time to gather and encourage one another, therefore we meet at our downtown location the first Sunday of every month. Click here for details
Although attending a gathering works for some, we've noticed an increasing trend of busy lives and schedules. We've chosen to embrace media and technology to get God's Word to people where they are at. Our creative messages and encouraging content will be made accessible online and viewable at anytime. Through video we have the ability to reach people near and far 24 hours a day. Access our media archive here
Next, because our downtown gathering space is limited and we meet once a month, our primary growth is dependent on smaller groups that connect throughout the week at various locations. These are hosted and led by people currently involved with Mended. Most utilize our video archive which makes for a great way to start a more in depth conversation about a life lived with Christ. Please contact us and specify your interest in a group to learn more.
Working together is the only way to accomplish what needs to be done. We are an active church that wants to lead by example. Therefore the final element in supporting groups and individuals is to spend time in our community and volunteer. We believe there are many incredible organizations in our own backyard that need our help. Check our list of events to find out about any upcoming volunteer opportunities.
What does Mended mean? And why the ship?
We often get asked these questions. To "mend" is to put together and make stronger. God does both these things within us as individuals, and when we work together, He can do it in our community. God actually showed me (Joe) the image of the ship in a time of prayer. It became very apparent a few weeks later that God wanted this used as our logo when I found the exact ship in a painting that my grandfather had done when he was younger. I think it's a clear representation of our church and each group within Mended...hand-crafted and rugged, yet beautiful; it's purpose is to explore new territory and take adventures; the crew is a tight group working together; it takes each person's talents and abilities to sail; and it's powered by the wind of the Holy Spirit.